Irving Heritage House Tours
Trying on hats from the 40’s and 50’s will be available during the First Sunday tours of the Heritage House, Sunday, September 3, from 3pm – 5pm. Hats from the Heritage House collection as well as gloves will be on display for guests at this 1912 home, located at 303 South O’Connor. The house is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
In 1912, C.P. Schulze, brother of Irving’s co-founders J.O. Schulze, employed local artisan Fred Joffre to build the prairie-style bungalow for him and his bride Virginia Tucker. Its cypress siding, low-hipped roof, large porch, and gabled dormer are signature features of the style of early 20th century houses in the area. It is one of the oldest remaining homes in Irving from that period.
Admission is free and the tour includes a visit to Mary’s Playhouse in the back garden area. Originally built as a chicken coop, the building was adapted as a playhouse in the 1920’s. Several original toys of Mary Schulze and her brother Charles are included in the display.
Irving Heritage Society. All rights reserved.